Purpose and description of the course
Leadership is basically about enabling and facilitating change and development. The course is based on the participants’ own practical work situations and combines concrete experiences with a wide range of research texts and theory. The basic approach is to conceive of leadership as a contextual and relational phenomenon, which means that the course focuses on concrete situations and the interaction with other individuals in the organization. Additionally, special emphasis is placed on leadership in relation to complex challenges that require exploration, learning and new solutions.
Consequently, the focus of the course is on leadership in practice rather than on the leader as a person. Further, the course presents leadership theory and explores various forms of leadership that can mobilize energy for development rather than simply maintaining the system that is already present.
Key themes in the course
- Shared leadership as a leadership style
- Complexity theoretical leadership
- Leadership in interaction
- Creation of leader and follower identities
- Sensemaking and leadership.
Your learning outcome
- Knowledge of different theories and perspectives on leadership, with a focus on contextual and relational perspectives
- Ability to observe oneself in concrete leadership situations.
- Ability to reflect on and interpret specific leadership challenges as well as reflect on her/his own role in the organizational dynamics.
- Competence in using leadership theory to challenge one’s own understanding of practical organizational challenges. Additionally, the student is expected to conduct theoretically inspired experiments with new actions in practical leadership situations.
Who should attend this course
The course is aimed at people with an interest in developing their understanding of leadership and immersing themselves in leadership as an organizational phenomenon in order to be able to create change.
The subject is for you who work as a formal manager, project manager, professional manager or similar, and who are engaged in the development of the business or organization.
The subject can be taken as a single subject or as part of your overall Master of Business Development.